Looking out for others
Ezekiel 22:30 says “SO I sought for a man among them who would make a wall, and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it; but i found no one.”
Obviously, at first glance this is a tough read and can be taken out of context. God was looking for someone to do a tasks (well two: build the wall and stand in gap) but none could be found. I was reading this as a part of my devotional time and my mind went into a new direction….
God is looking for someone… a person or peoples to stand in the gap… In the gap for what? I feel He is looking for individuals and groups of people willing to stand in the gap for the following people groups:
- those in prison
- those with disabilities or special needs
- those who are hurting, physically, mentally, emotionally
- those who are lost, trying to find identity in the world with no success
- those who struggle with suicidal thoughts
- those who just don’t feel like they fit into a social or friend group
- those disconnected with and to the church
- those simply lost in their selves.
I know it is an exhaustive list. I know it seems like a big task, or seems like it doesn’t connect to or concern me so why bother? I know we can make excuses but why?
Excuses come in a variety of means… but often are developed to keep fear in check or our lives comfortable and safe.
My prayer and challenge is to seek God and do our best to friend someone.. it will both help us and the person being friended.
My prayer is for our needs to be met while meeting other people’s needs in the process.
Take a risk for someone.. you never know.. someday you might need them to take a risk for you.