Perspective… does it matter?
It has been a while since I have last blogged.. but maybe you aren’t aware of that tidbit. Well, until I mentioned it.
I have been very busy with life, work and COS (think college without credit). But the very topic is the topic of discussion today. Perspective!
Perspective… the dictionary.com refers to it as a mental view point,
I have to admit I function 70% of the time within my own perspective. That being said, I admit to focusing on what I see. The lenses I see through most of the time are based on the following criteria…. Do your own list too..
- Parents had me later in life (parents in mid 40’s); most thought they were my grandparents.
- My sister is 20 years older than me; most thought she was my mom.
- I have an identical twin; we don’t dress or act alike. (twin day isn’t really twin day it is dress like your best friend day.. we wouldn’t dress alike on purpose)
- I am married to Shelly; therefore one man and one woman-married matters to me.
- I have been blessed with four kids; therefore saying you have a handful with your two kids doesn’t carry a ton of weight for me.. if you say 6 then I am praying for you.
- I was born in Michigan, therefore I am a Michigan fan; most think this it true. Or they should lol.
- I refer to Michigan as God’s country; most don’t get it until they visit West Michigan.. Then they believe or are just in denial.
- I am a youth minister; most think I am holier than them, nope just saved through grace like we all are.
- I have a full time job; most think I have the weekends off.. nope Monday is my day off
- Since I am a pastor I am always working; the reality is I need down time too.
- If I don’t write it down it will not happen; most who know me know this truth.. it is a fact!
- I have 3 girls and a son; most think I wanted kids until a son is born; reality is God blessed us with 4 individually awesome unique kids..
- Most think my kids are or should be perfect due to my employment; however they are still kids and I can’t assume your kids is a rocket scientist because you are can I? for argument I do know a rocket scientist and his kids aren’t rock scientists….
I think you get my point…
So how do we deal with perspective?
The news has been all over cop shootings, cops shooting people and black lives matter.
I have been taught to respect authority, to care for and respect all life and everyone matters. I have been struggling to watch videos and news footage of people killing people, then people retaliating on people (even though they are different people than the one they had issues with) and so forth. It is a vicious cycle.
One video I watched showed an older white male trying to walk down the street, through a demonstration of black lives matter (African American women) who wouldn’t let him pass… they were making a point that black lives matter but demonstrated our protest (example) matters more than you walking down the street.
I know several police officers who are very good people. They care about their community, and being a safe person for those in need. They will do their job to the best of their ability within the law. They love their kids, they wives and work hard to keep us safe. They would never just shoot someone… in fact the ones I know have never drawn a gun on someone. They would rather avoid conflict than create it. Plus one said it is a lot of paperwork and who likes paperwork.
I have four kids (mentioned before) and they are all uniquely different. I am figuring out something finally. They are all wired differently and I need to adjust to their perspective if I am going to be used by God to help shape them into the people He has created them to be. I admit…. Most of the time I fail at this because I am concerned about my perspective not theirs.
I have done some poor perspectives when it comes to helping them grow, being a safe place for them to turn. It is a two way street but I always need to be the one looking at their perspective and determining the best communications possible to connect with them. Again.. I fail often here.. if you would ask them I would guess they would say fail more than not but it is perspective.
When someone sees me in the community, they assume I am working and bring up a work need or situation. However they wouldn’t think of being asked a question about their employment when they aren’t at work.. see the perspective changes how we respond to people. I admit again, times I fail at remembering their perspective and helping them learn mine.
As I mentioned before, I am in COS and our class is based on several books, bible books and writings. One of the objectives was to take strength finders assessment. This assessment helps you know your strengths with the hope you will focus to grow them more than you try to grow your weaknesses. The book (resources) believes it is better to grow your strengths and help others grow theirs as we align with others who have different strengths than we do to accomplish certain tasks. I felt this was a great way of looking at things but realize.. it is also perspective.
I am closing out this portion of the blog (which should be multiple posts but isn’t) with a thought.
How much better would our life be, our world be if we would take a deep breathe and look at it from others perspectives.. This might help us understand we all have needs, wants, opinions and perspectives. No one’s perspective is wrong to them, it is just that a perspective.
We can change the world by changing ourselves and looking to view things through others perspectives not assuming they all know ours….