Unity…. Webster says Unity is:
- the state of being one; oneness
- a whole or totality as combining all its parts into one.
- the state or fact of being united or combined into one, as of the parts of a whole; unification.
- absence of diversity; unvaried or uniform character.”
What do you say unity is?
I define unity in two ways…
- being content within your own heart and self.
- getting along with a person or group of persons through a common source.
How we define unity is important. We need to have a common understanding on the definition and how it is played out within the group and each individual.
How your basketball team, swim team, music group defines and acts out unity is vital to the success, longevity and legacy of each group. We focus so much attention on me… we forget the importance of we. We focus so much attention on the now that we forget about the future.
Yeah, I know.. how can I possibly know the future we leave when I don’t know the me within the we now? I think this is the tension we all deal with throughout our careers, friendship and families. Smarter people than I have written books, taught classes and seminars etc. but I speak from my own heart…
John 17:21 That they might be ONE… There is value in being one, if there wasn’t God wouldn’t have mentioned it in the bible.
What can we gain from being one (unity)?
- We will have a better understanding of others. We will put others first.
- Our teams will not only look good but they will function and perform better…. Like state championship better. People will notice something is different with this team.
- The people who will follow us will be better prepared and will benefit from the hard work we have done to create, foster and encourage unity.
IF that isn’t enough… we will actually find some contentment within our own hearts and therefore better equipped to impact the world we live in.
Choose today to find unity within yourself…. Encourage within your team and display it for the world to see.